Wednesday, June 5, 2019

WHAT’S HE UP TO?

I encountered racism yesterday. It was so subtle I could have missed it.

The watering system in my section of the complex hasn’t functioned yet this year. The landscape and irrigation supervisor was walking the property searching for the cause.

As I went to the mailbox, a car pulled into my neighbor’s drive. My neighbor does massage as a second job, so this was not surprising.

When I turned back toward my unit, the person from the car was still standing beside her car watching the landscape guy. I was startled when she asked, “What’s he up to?”

I probably don’t need to mention that the man is black.

“He’s the grounds crew supervisor,” I said. “He’s trying to find out why the water system isn’t working.”

She said nothing and proceeded to my neighbor’s door.

I wanted to follow her, pound on the door and ask if she would have been bothered if the man had been white. I wanted to ask if she felt threatened because he wasn’t white. Had she thought she was protecting something – me, my neighbor, the complex – by watching him?

The man never heard her question, thank goodness. But I felt shame for the many times he has undoubtedly been confronted in similar situations.


No comments:

Post a Comment